Quite often and more often than not, the chemicals from commercial cleaning supplies can aggravate your allergies.
Did you know that basic household ingredients can produce the same results as commercial cleaning supplies?
Here is a sampling of how certain household ingredients can aid in cleaning. Keep in mind that some people with allergies cannot tolerate the smell of ammonia or bleach.
AMMONIA – Cuts grease , strips the wax off floors and cleans windows.
BAKING SODA – Cleans, deodorizes , scours , polishes , and removes stains.
BLEACH ( sodium hydrochloride) Whitens practically anything and removes mold , mildew , and disinfects and deodorizes at the same time.
ABOUT CHLORINE BLEACH
MYTH – Chlorine and liquid bleach are one in the same.
FACT – Actually they aren’t! The term chlorine bleach is actually a misnomer. What’s in the bottle is sodium hydrochloride , the active ingredient in liquid bleach . Although chlorine is used to manufacture sodium hydrochloride , there is no free chlorine in bleach.
BORAX – Alternative for bleach , deodorizes , prevents mold , removes stains and boosts the cleaning power of soap.
CORN STARCH – Cleans and deodorizes carpets and rugs .
KETCHUP – Cleans copper.
LEMON JUICE – Cuts grease and stains on aluminum and porcelain , whitens.
SALT – Makes an abrasive , but gentle , scouring powder.
VEGETABLE OIL – A furniture polish.
WASHING SODA – Cuts grease and disinfects.
WHITE VINEGAR – Cleans windows , shines metal surfaces , removes mildew , stains , and wax buildup.
Sometimes combining some of the above ingredients creates better cleaners , but remember : ” NEVER MIX BLEACH AND AMMONIA TOGETHER”
* BELOW ARE SOME MORE USEFUL CLEANING TIPS *
* Get Rid of Stubborn Bottle Labels* To remove the label from glassware apply some peanut butter to remove the glue and rub with your finger. The glue will melt away.
* Candle Wax Removal * If you get candle wax on your carpet all you have to do is get a brown paper bag and your iron . Tear the bag open , heat up your iron , place the bag over the wax and iron over it.The wax will melt into the paper bag .Works every time.
* Get Rid of Crayon Marks* To get crayon marks off of walls , take a soft cloth and some WD-40 . Spray the cloth with the WD-40 and wipe the spot. The oil gets absorbed into the cloth , while the other ingredients work on the wax from the crayon. Works on painted or paper surfaces.
* Rust Free Garden Tools* Here’s a way to prevent rust on your garden tools: Fill a 5 – gallon bucket with sand and a quart of motor oil. After using your tool , scrape off excess soil and plunge the tool into the bucket of sand a few times.
* Ammonia In Laundry Cuts Grease* Put a half-cup of ammonia in the wash to loosen up the grease stains on work clothes and oil stains. It makes your coats , jackets , and pants cleaner and believe it or not , the stains miraculously disappear.
* Get Rid Of Odors * To eliminate household odors from cooking and smoking , fill a bowl (or small container) with Cotton balls , pour in vinegar and place in a out of way area. Keep one in every room , and repeat the process every week.
* Remove Rust From Sinks* To remove rust from metal sinks , wet the stain and pour baking soda on the stain . Let it set overnight. Run water and wipe the rust down the drain.
* Remove Blood From Carpet* If you get blood on your carpet , clean it in a circular motion with a baby wipe. You may need 2 or 3 , but it takes ALL the stain out. It’s a miracle!
* Use Shaving Cream On Carpets* For years I have used the inexpensive shaving cream to spot treat my rugs and carpets. Not only does it clean well and is nontoxic, but it leaves a refreshing scent behind.
* Epsom Salts Can Damage Septic Tank* Don’t let Epsom salts drain into a septic tank. They stop enzyme reaction and can cause damage to the leach field and require costly repairs.
* Removing Carpet Stains* I have found that club soda works really well in taking stains out of my white Berber carpet. Every stain I have used it on has come out.
* Quickly Sterilize Sponges* To sterilize sponges used in the kitchen , place a damp sponge in the microwave for 20 seconds. It will (kill) any bacteria in those sponges. Do this once a week or more often.
* Clean Spots From Carpet* When cleaning carpet that has stains of grease , mud , salsa , etc. , always spray cleaning solution around the spot or stain first , rather than directly on it . By circling it first ,this will stop the spot from spreading outward as would have happened if you sprayed directly onto the spot to be cleaned. The spot will not have a dry area to absorb it as it dissolves , thus allowing it to be absorbed with a dry sponge.
*Keep Sinks Sparkling* Mineral oil will make your sink shinny but why go out and buy another product? Just spray sinks with your furniture cleaner.The cleaner will make sinks shine , and the water will not spot your sink. So easy and handy!
*Cleaning Oven Racks* When cleaning oven racks and burner bibs , place the racks and bibs in a large plastic garbage bag and spray liberally with oven cleaner . Tie shut and leave overnight . The next day rinse.
*Great way to unclog a toilet* Having trouble with a stopped up toilet? Try this, a couple good squirts of dish washing liquid in bowl, let stand for 5 minutes, plunge a few times with a toilet plunger, viola clog gone!